Information for Observers


IUCAA Girawali Observatory is located on a hill near Ghodegaon and Junnar, off Pune-Nasik highway, at about 80km north of Pune city. It is at 19°5′ N latitude and 73°40′ E longitude at an altitude of 1000m above MSL. Further details of the observatory site is available here as well as published in Das et al. 1999, BASI, 27, 609.

The observatory will be available for astronomical observations from October to May in two proposal cycles of four month duration each. The IGO-TAC will be responsible for allocation of approximately 60% of the observing time. Director’s Discretionary Time as well as time for Targets of Opportunity, Training Programmes, Observatory projects, Maintenance and Compensation will constitute the remaining 40% of the time. More information about the telescope as well as the available back end instruments and their capabilities are provided here. Also please see Gupta et al. 2002, BASI, 30, 785. As per the current policy, the successful proposers are guaranteed exclusive right to data for a period of one year after the observation date.

Target of Opportunity (TOO) proposals which ask for a fixed quantum of time, but for which the scheduling needs to be done dynamically, should also be submitted at this time. Scheduling of ToO proposals is subject to several practical constraints, please see the here for details.

The proposals should be submitted online using the IGO Archive and Proposal Management System link

In order to start using the online system, one needs to open an account using the above link.

In case of difficulty in on line submission of proposals, the completed proposals can still be sent by email to Hardcopy submissions are strongly discouraged and can be accepted only in exceptional circumstances. For hardcopies of proposal submission form and instructions please contact For clarifications regarding technical issues as well as filling up the proposal form, please contact Ranjan Gupta

The deadline for submission of proposals for the cycle October to January is July 15 and for the cycle February to May it is November 15.

Feedback from IGO User's Meet:

  • The recent two day meeting of IGO users provided extremely useful feedback on the status of different observing programs at the IGO. It was clear that programs that needed better than 5% accuracy in absolute photometry are probably not well suited to the IGO at the current stage. Instead programs that used only relative measurements, e.g. relative photometry, time/spectral variability studies, polarimetry etc. had a far better chance of obtaining scientifically useful data. Potential IGO users should bear this in mind while preparing proposals..




Announcement of Opportunity







Application Form